- A written statement whereby the signer swears to its accuracy before a notary/judicial officer. A witness’s affidavit is allowed to be entered as evidence in a court case.
- asbestos bodies
- Inhaled asbestos particles that are imbedded in lung tissue. They are usually drum shaped. Their presence in is considered strong evidence that the person has experienced exposure to asbestos.
- Form of lung cancer caused by inhaling airborne asbestos fiber involving the scarring of the lung tissue
biopsy – a procedure performed with a needle or surgical incision to remove a tissue sample to determine the presence of cancer cells through microscopic analysis.
- An elevation of the skin not normally exceeding 1-2 cm., that is filled with fluid.
bronchoscopy - a thin, lighted tube (bronchoscope) inserted through the nose or mouth to examine the breathing passages at the entrance to your lungs.
butchart staging system – The staging system most often used for mesothelioma. It is divided into Stages I – IV with the levels determined by the tissue involved.
- chronic bronchitis
- A condition characterized with increased mucus secretions and caused by virual infections, manifested with prolonged exposure to bronchial irritants.
- An important source of asbestos accounting for 90% of all asbestos used. Its grey or green fibers take the shape of a spiral and flexible.
- class action lawsuit
- A lawsuit filed by personal injury victim(s) on their own behalf as well as a larger group “who are similarly situated”. All participants are bounded together by the outcome.
- Refers to a condition in which the tips of the fingers and the nails curve inward due to inadequte supply of oxygen rich blood.
- The first document filed with the court by the plaintiff stating the factual and legal basis for claiming legal rights against the defendant(s).
- Swelling caused by an excess accumulation of fluid in the internal organs and body tissue, assocaited with injury or inflammation as related to heart or kidney failure.
- emphysema, pulmonary
- A chronic disease of the lungs in which enough functional units (alveoli) have been destroyed by disease to prevent proper exchange of gases within the units. As a result, new air in the lung spaces cannot be efficiently utilized for oxygenation purposes.
- The scientific study of frequency and distribution of disease amongst a population, including factors controlling the presence or absence of a disease.
- Formation of fibrous, scar-like tissue.
- Literally coughing up blood that has been secreted into the respiratory tract due to bleeding. A warning sign of a more serious disease.
- Condition more commonly known as high blood pressure, sufferers of hypertension are at a higher risk of heart disease and kidney disease.
- Administering directly into the chest cavity, sometimes medicine or chemotherapy treatments.
- Administering directly into the abdominal cavity, sometimes medicine or chemotherapy treatments.
- latency period
- The period from initial exposure to the onset of the disease.
- tissue formed by cells lining the chest, abdominal cavities and outer surface of most internal organs, it produces a lubrication that helps enables organs to move
- malignant mesothelioma
- A fatal cancerous tumor that grows uncontrollably over the surface of the lung, heart and abdominal cavity.
- Spread of cancer from the original site to new and expanded sites.
- Failure of reasonably expected precautions and safety.
- The membrane lining that covers the lungs and the interior of the chest cavity.
- plueral effusion
- Accumulation of fluid between the lining of the chest and lung cavity.
- Surgical procedure to remove part of the chest or abdomen lining.
- Fibrosis and scarring of the lungs as a result of repeated inhalation of dust like silica, asbestos and coal dust.
- Surgical procedure to remove the entire lung.
- statute of limitations
- This is the time period that legal action must be taken before, after this time period the right to file legal action is void.
- wrongful death
- This is the claim that someone else was responsbile for the death of another through negligence or other liability and that survivors and/or the estate of the deceased are entitled to damages.